11.19.2007

Amazon Kindle


Well, I can finally say that this is what I've been helping to build for 2 and a half years. It's been a long time coming -- at times it seemed it wasn't going to happen. But Amazon put the device up for sale this morning, and the orders are coming in now. Already a lot of press has been given the Kindle -- Jeff Bezos and the Amazon marketing folks really did a good job of getting early positive press coverage. It even looks like it will be on the cover of Newsweek this week. So for better or for worse, my work is now going through the grinder of hi tech criticism. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks and months. It is quite nerve-wracking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Craig!! I watched Jeff Bezos talk about it this morning (Seoul time) and I wondered whether this was the project that you emailed me about a couple years ago. It must feel great to finally see it hit the market!!! I want to buy one but wonder whether the wireless download feature will work way over here in Korea. You probably know the answer to that. Again Congratulations!!

Craig Griffin said...

Hey Jeremy. I like your new blog! Unfortunately, currently the Kindle only works domestically on Sprint's network.

Andrea said...

Oooh, so you are almost famous then! Congrats on hard work come to fruition. Matt & I saw the Newsweek cover yesterday and thought of you. I still dislike the name Kindle, but truthfully want one to call my own...

Hope you, Becky, & the cute ones are well!
Andrea Harrison

TK said...

Hey Craig,

I stumbled onto your blog via the swiss mission website and just had to post something about the Kindle once I saw you helped create it.

I don't have one YET, but hope to have one by Christmas. I sat next to a guy on a plane recently and had the chance to see it in person for the first time...friggin' amazing. I told him that my old missionary companion helped make it (I think he was impressed). His comment was that it will do for books what the Ipod did for music and I think he's right. It's way better than Sony's reader.

I am sure you know that it was featured on Oprah last Friday, so that should be good for a few million new orders I'm sure. Keep up the good work.

Talk to you later,
Ted Kendrick