4.09.2010

Guam will capsize if we increase troop levels...

I saw this on youtube. A real US congressman, expressing his reservations on increasing troop levels in Guam:



It reminded me when I was about 8 years old, playing Risk against my big brother Mark, who was about 14 or 15 at the time. I had finished conquering the Americas, and was looking to invade Europe. Those familiar with the game will of course recognize they way you do that is to invade Iceland from Greenland. I turned in my cards for about 40 new armies, and added it to an already stacked Greenland for about 70 armies, looking to deliver the knockout round. But after I obliterated his garrison, and was trying to move about 35 pieces of plastic over tiny Iceland, Mark stopped me: "Um, like, you can't do that. You've got too many armies. Look at the board Craig, your armies can't fit on Iceland."

This is way Mark used to win his games. Of course, he's very clever, and can often win games without resorting to such tactics, but if you're playing, say, Monopoly with him, beware when he generously offers to be the banker.

No comments: